Saturday, June 14, 2008

Politics tends to be an afterthought to be a pre-set philosophical outlook

For the last couple of years I have invested heavily in the study of foreign policy. I’m finding a new need, by coming across unfamiliar names in blogs, unfamiliar terrain, the need to shift more and more to political economy and political philosophy. Along with some domestic policy (the next book to read is Grand New Party).

Like the last post on Levinas my general philosophical trend is phenomenological, is contemplation of being. And where necessary systems (Habermas, Wilber, process cosmology). Generally these thinkers are not great political thinkers. Habermas is an exception, Plato, Aristotle, even Kant in some regards. But not too much overall. Politics tends to be an afterthought to be a pre-set philosophical outlook (Hegelian, post/structuralist, or evolutionary psychological).

I want to start more with political philosophers themselves. There are the obvious Rawls, Nozicks of the world. But I always like to go by strange meanderings paths, borderlands intellectually, and less taken roads. I’m amassing a reading list and any recommendations are welcomed in the comments. As a prelude, consider the following from Will Wilkinson which opened some mental doors for me... Political Philosophy from Indistinct Union by cjsmith

No comments:

Post a Comment